Most of us have a dish that we always take to BBQ's, gatherings and picnics. The kind of meal that ticks the simple, abundant and crowd-pleaser boxes with ease.
This meal is that for me.
I watched in delight the first time that I saw people enjoying this meal, people who couldn't care less about the best choice for their body and they were loving it! This recipe has since been fine-tuned and made on many an occasion in my life, including dinner at home!
It was served at both my eBook launch and Clean Eating Workshop in June to much acclaim and recently both The Daily Telegraph and my local paper The Mosman Daily featured it for their readership - it's a seriously awesome salad that I know you will love too.
No surprise then that that dish was also one of the first inclusions in my eBook
EAT WELL, LOOK GOOD and FEEL GREAT
which is available here for download on all devices.
The recipe is gluten-free, vegan and the base ingredients can easily be made in advance saving you time and stress if cooking for many people or you simply have a busy lifestyle. You guys know how crazy I am for preparation by now....
As is the case for all recipes in my eBook, this dish is to serve one person though is easily multiplied for when you have other hungry mouths to feed OR as I do at home, make enough for a few days. The shining ingredient that brings everything together here is the coriander pesto which is made simply and cheaply in minutes as well as being a super handy and versatile inclusion for your fridge. My instagram is full of other ways to use the pesto and this post is another delicious option too!
You can absolutely make this salad to serve immediately or you can prepare the brown rice, quinoa and pesto in advance to make dinner even quicker! If you choose the latter, may I suggest that you double or even triple the quantities of the brown rice and quinoa so that you have leftovers to create other healthy meals with through the week (the pesto recipe already accounts for leftovers).
This salad provides sustenance, energy and delight so get stuck in!
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup cooked tri-colour quinoa
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coriander pesto (below)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Pinch of rock salt
- ½ avocado, sliced lengthways
- ½ cup cherry or grapes tomatoes, washed and quartered
- 2 teaspoons toasted almonds
- ¼ cup snow pea sprouts, washed
- 2 teaspoons fresh coriander, washed and finely chopped
- Lightly toast the almonds for a few minutes in a dry frypan on medium-high heat
- Combine the base ingredients in a mixing bowl, adequately coating the brown rice and quinoa with the flavours and moisture
- Add all topping ingredients and toss through to mix before serving
- 1 cup toasted cashews, cooled
- 1 bunch coriander (stems as well), washed and dried
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup macadamia oil
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
Share this recipe with someone else who would love it too and show me your creations on instagram by using #nfeats - I love seeing what you can do!