The Greeks have had it right for quite some time.
When it comes to food, so many of their meals are about simplicity, freshness and colour so that’s tick, tick, tick for me! Last year, I visited Greece for the first time and experienced for myself this awesome and natural way to eat plus I got to try one of my all-time favourite dishes in its’ homeland.
The Greek Salad
The salad that is all-too often left sitting for hours with soggy tomatoes, associated with bad take-away and generally looked down upon when it comes to modern food. Well I’m here to tell you it need not be the case and that this super quick and delicious salad should get back on your menu…
As you know I am all about the salad and feel as if I have a fairly solid foundation of knowledge on the topic. When eating raw salads, the first and foremost point to consider is the quality of the ingredients. As always, though particularly in this case, buy the best that you possibly can and you’ll find this humble dish elevated to superstar status; it’s that simple.
The 3 must-haves:
- Heirloom tomatoes to lend sweetness and variety to the flavour
- Fresh oregano – you just wait
- Organic and seriously good quality fetta cheese
- 1 punnet heirloom tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1 cucumber, washed, peeled and sliced
- 1 small green capsicum, washed and sliced
- Few rings red onion
- ¼ cup black olives, pitted
- 1 block good quality fetta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Good splash of quality olive oil to serve
- Prepare all ingredients and mix
- Season and coat evenly with the oil
- Serve and enjoy!
A lamb variation of this simple, delicious + nutritious recipe is just one of the 40 available within my mini eBook bundle of the same name.
I know that you will love this classic dish! Why not share it with someone else by sending them this link or using #nfeats on instagram so that I can check out your creations too!