I have seriously vivid food memories of raisin toast from my childhood.
The aroma of dried fruit and spices filling the house. Warm toast served just right, with butter melting into every crack of the bread.
The thing is that store-bought raisin toast is jam-packed with preservatives and all kinds of things that make us unhealthy – keeping us at a weight or health level that isn’t ideal.
So you can imagine how excited I was when Carla and Emma AKA The Merrymaker Sisters sent me their latest baby – their hardcover cookbook Make It Merry.
Trawling through the 70 recipes I found this little gem and simply had to share it with you!
As with all food that I recommend, it’s simple, delicious and nutritious.
It’s made from real food ingredients, nothing crazy here and can be made in no time at all.
Leave the hard work to your oven and enjoy this raisin toast within the hour!
- 1⁄2 cup dried peaches or apricots
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup butter melted
- 1⁄4 cup chia seeds
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flour
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Line a 20 x 10 cm (8 x 4 inch) loaf tin with baking paper
- Chop peaches/apricots and set aside
- Place almond meal, chia seeds, coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking powder in a food processor
- Whizz until combined
- Add the butter, honey, eggs and vinegar and whizz until smooth (about 2 minutes)
- Transfer this in to a bowl and add the raisins and peaches
- Mix well
- Transfer the mixture in to the prepared tin and smooth out the top
- Sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon.
- Place in the oven for 50 minutes or until it springs back when you lightly touch the top
- Allow to cool
- Turn out and slice