Who doesn't love hot chocolate?
Winter warming and dare I say soul food?
For years my dear grandmother used to make me hot chocolate in winter and I have the best memories of that. So this is my attempt to make it at home when I didn't have a store bought option on hand.
Controversy warning: I'm not a huge chocolate fan. I like it though I don't dream of it.
I know, weird right? Ha! You have to honour your own preferences.
The point is that dark chocolate or cacao powder and its bitterness is more to my liking and that's what I've gone with in this recipe. Tweak as you like!
On the ingredient front, feel free to switch up the milk selection for varying flavour combos. For instance, coconut milk will provide a creamier and thicker consistency as well as a different taste.
I like to make it with cow's milk or maybe even almond if we have some at home.
Made in minutes and with a few ingredients, is this yummy wintery drink.
- 2 ¼ cups milk of your choice
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla powder/ ½
teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon honey
- Heat all ingredients in a small saucepan on med-high heat
- Continue stirring until all ingredients are well dissolved
- Bring to desired warmth and serve immediately