Summer is officially over in Australia and that also means the last of the summer fruits. For the rest of the world, you’re only just getting started and so this recipe is almost perfectly timed for everyone! Either a last hurrah or vibrant welcome of a new season.
It’s no secret that I adore salads. And the feedback that never gets old, is hearing that my salads are so much more than that!
Because I agree.
The whole undressed greens thing? Not attractive in the slightest. Huge chunks of raw vegetables? No thank you.
One of the reasons that I love salads so much is that I get to (claiming a cooking-show term here) ‘hero’ vegetables in all their glory. Exploring various textures and preparation in minimal time and for maximum effect. To let gorgeous produce stand out as it deserves.
Raw vegetables mostly provide us with more nutrition than their cooked counterparts, but that’s not my main motivation – time is.
They’re faster, simpler and hello delicious meals in a flash!
So although we’ve all been stung by bland salads and ill-prepared raw vegetables, bear with me on this. I know a thing or two about it…
Fresh, vibrant and enough to feed everyone!
This recipe is perfect for summer BBQ’s, picnics or entertaining – it’s ready in no time at all and is seriously tasty.
Herbs, simple, real food ingredients and nothing out of the ordinary. Make it. Share it. Enjoy it.
- 500g chicken breast
- 1 bunch coriander, roots only
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ chilli, deseeded
- 1 stick lemongrass, white part only
- ½ Chinese cabbage
- ½ carrot
- ¼ red onion
- 2 mangoes
- ½ bunch fresh mint
- ½ bunch fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- Cover chicken in a large saucepan with cold water
- Add coriander roots, garlic, chilli and lemongrass
- Bring to the boil over high heat
- Once boiled, reduce to medium and cook through for 12-15 minutes
- Turn off heat and leave for a few minutes
- Remove chicken and shred
- Whilst chicken is cooking, finely chop cabbage, carrot and onion
- Slice mango and add with vegetables to a large salad bowl
- Combine dressing ingredients together
- Add the shredded chicken to the salad, tear in fresh herbs and dress well
- Top with sesame seeds to serve