This recipe has fast become a favourite of mine.
It honours so many of the attributes that makes food satisfying, nourishing and pleasurable to eat for me. Those attributes encompass how simple food is to prepare, how versatile the dish or meal can be, the variety of textures and temperatures involved, the deliciousness (of course!) and how happy I am for hours to come after eating it.
Not bad for one little dish is it?
As I hope has become synonymous with my recipes, it allows for flexibility and changes too. I’ve provided the actual recipe for the beef mixture (with variations) though how you assemble the taco bowl is up to you!
I like to think that this recipe and how I’ve laid it out honours the principles that are so integral to a positive relationship with food and your body.
That of a connection to how food makes you feel, to your unique experience of it and choosing to honour that over any food rules, plans or ideas. All of which you can learn more about cultivating here.
There’s a quick step-by-step video of this recipe on my IG as well. Find that here.
And feel free to mix this recipe up to serve you (literally) always. Use the beef mixture in wraps or on sandwiches, store it as leftovers or make actual tacos with it if you prefer.
I hope you enjoy it.
- ¼ small, diced red onion
- 1 small, crushed garlic clove
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 500g beef mince
- 1-2 tbsp taco-style spice mixture
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to cook
- Cooked rice
- Beef mixture
- Chopped iceberg lettuce
- Diced avocado
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Corn chips
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Greek yoghurt
- Pickled onions if you like
- Heat oil, onion and garlic in a frypan over medium-high heat
- Once aromatic and starting to soften, add beef mince
- Cook through
- Add spice mix and fresh herbs
- Stir through and remove from heat
- Sdd taco bowl components to serving bowls
- Top with yoghurt and onions to serve
Also feel free to add kidney beans to the beef mixture if you want to pump it up, add more legumes and fibre to your life.