What is a balanced diet? How does one get there especially when recovering from diet culture? Is it a one-size-fits-all approach? What matters here?
This episode explores:
- what does balance mean without diet culture
- how to start exploring this for yourself
- what factors matter when it comes to balance
- what's left out of the conversation about food and diet
- how culturally-significant foods become demonised
- what nutrition science says on the matter
- A diagram of the Determinants of Health
- Macronutrient Balance - Australian Government National Health and Medical Research Council
- Seeking professional support
- Shana Spence's website and Instagram
- Practical prompts to explore your own version of balance with food
- How does that food feel in my body?
- Do I feel excited and satisfied from this meal?
- Does this feel like another rule?
- Can I sustain this inclusion in my life?
- How does the concept of for the most part help here?
- Do I like it or do I think I should like it?
- What happens when I eat this, like this and this time?