Ever since I can remember, I've always enjoyed taking a food idea, recipe or meal and making it my own.
A few more fresh herbs here, less sauce there and as the years have rolled on, along with my skills and expertise, I've come to be able to take almost any idea and turn it into a thriving, delicious and nutritionally sound recipe that I love.
This is what led me away from poached chicken and green vegetables and stirred up such wonderfully creative juices in the kitchen that saw me launch two recipe eBooks (back in 2014) and work to create unique recipes for various media clients when I worked in that world.
Cooking for yourself (or others) can seemingly be in the "too hard basket" and I too used to feel that way. The prepping and the washing up.... Except that I didn't always know what to do, quicker ways to do it and how to make food always taste yummy.
And this take on the classic Chicken Schnitzel is a good example of all these ideas at work.
My version follows the same idea as the classic and is just as simple though without the breadcrumbs and frying. The chunky avocado salsa takes this recipe to a whole other level and is a delicious salad all of its' own!
Even my predominantly-vegetarian Mama tried this one when she came over... and loved it! You could say that it's become a bit of a favourite in our house. I also love this chicken with my take on Greek salad and baked potato wedges. Yummmmmm!
- 2 chicken breasts, flattened
- 1 cup oats, ground in a food processor
- ⅔ cup almond meal
- 4 heaped tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Butter to cook
- 2 avocados, scooped out and diced
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, finely diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Combine oats, almond meal and parsley in a large mixing bowl
- Season to taste
- Place 1 chicken breast in whisked egg
- Once coated well, place in oats mixture and once again coat well
- Repeat with other chicken breast
- Heat butter in a large frypan on medium-high heat
- Once hot, add chicken and cook for roughly 15 minutes
- Whilst chicken is cooking combine the avocado, onion, tomato and coriander,
- coating with lime juice, set aside
- Ensure chicken is cooked through completely
- Serve with chunky avocado salsa