Nachos is one of those dishes that screams indulgence.
So I guess the next question is how do you define indulgence?
Indulgence need not negatively impact your body and health; this is something I know a thing or two about…
Why is it then that this is exactly what we think?
Real food. Minimally processed. Delicious.
That’s what I think food should always be and this recipe certainly fits the bill!
I’ve been making this recipe for years now though like all things, it got better with time and I’m so excited to share it with you!
This is a midweek throw together or a weekend meal that’s a real crowd pleaser.
Easily doubled, or tripled (if you have a big enough baking tray) and a recipe that is right at home no matter your dietary lifestyle.
Vegan? Lose the cheese.
Love meat? Add in some mince.
Want leftovers for lunch tomorrow? Double the bean mixture and guacamole and spread it over pita bread, your salad or eat it alone with more guacamole as I do regularly..
You can even use the guacamole as a spread or dip all on it’s own. For more guac ideas check out this post.
Simple. Delicious. Nutritious. Enjoy.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red onion, finely diced (+1/2
- 2 canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 canned diced tomatoes (no added
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
(+¼ cup for guacamole)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 avocados
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon
- Juice of ½ fresh lime
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, washed and diced
- 1 packet quality corn chips (look for these ingredients and only these ingredients:
- corn, oil and salt)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees (electric)
- Heat large frypan on medium-high heat heat, add oil
- Once hot add garlic and onion, cooking for a few minutes until starting to soften
- Add kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, coriander and season to taste
- Cook for a few minutes until sauce thickens and reduces, set aside
- Scoop out avocados and take a fork to smash into a paste
- Add remaining coriander, lemon, lime juice and season to taste
- Mix well and set aside
- Combine remaining red onion and the cherry tomatoes for the salsa, set aside
- Layer ½ corn chips on a baking tray, cover with bean mixture and repeat
- Cover top layer with cheddar cheese and bake for 5-7 minutes until oozy and cheese
- is melted
- Serve immediately with the guacamole and salsa
before adding remaining ingredients
I just know that you’re going to love this nachos recipe! Change it up, make it your own and give yourself some love for wanting to take such good care of yourself. It’s not always easy though it is possible.