I can’t lie, sometimes when I have ideas for recipes, they don’t always come together.
Even 5-6 attempts later, I can be left with an inedible mess. I’ve come to think of it as part and parcel of this recipe development shebang.
However, sometimes there’s recipes that sound great in my mind, and come together perfectly. A feeling that never grows tired.
So yes, this recipe for Mushroom & Barley ‘Risotto’ is one of the latter.
And pretty handy because it also ticks all of the usual (and important) boxes….
It’s simple, delicious and healthy. Ready in less than 30 minutes. Stores well. Tastes great as leftovers.
Tick. Tick. Tick.
So no wonder then that it came to reside within the Wholefood Society Online. A vegetarian recipe that offers flexibility, time-saving tips and alternatives. The key underpinning guidelines of all recipes within the Society.
Where no matter your individual healthy eating journey, you’ll be able to take the pressure off yourself – because I’ve done the planning for you.
I created the Wholefood Society Online to make healthy eating simpler for busy women. So whether you’re a newbie to a wholefoods lifestyle, or soaking and sprouting legumes is more your jam, it’s meal plans, healthy recipes, videos, practical resources and support for a balanced and nourished life.
To feel and look your best.
There’s so much on offer within a Society membership and I’m thrilled to have created it. Especially because the fun doesn’t stop there with constant updates; new recipes, meal plans, videos and other goodies; as well as my personal brand of motivation delivered straight to your inbox each fortnight.
Enjoy this delicious Mushroom & Barley ‘Risotto’ and if you’re keen to check out the 90+ others available exclusively to the Wholefood Society Online, head here. I encourage you to step inside with a free video tour and also to check out the FAQ’s page with everything you need to know.
Happy, Healthy Eating.
- 1 cup barley
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves,
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g mushrooms, washed and sliced
- ¼ cup shallots, washed and sliced
(green part only)
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Pecorino/parmesan cheese
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan on med-high heat
- Once boiling, add barley
- Cook uncovered for 20 min until al dente
- Drain and coat with oil, parsley, salt and pepper
- With 10 minutes remaining on the barley cooktime, heat large frypan on med-high heat
- Add oil and once hot, add mushrooms and shallots
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until aromatic and golden brown
- Combine with the barley and divide between bowls
- Top with herbs, cheese and optional zest to serve
GLUTEN-FREE? Substitute barley for brown rice.
TOP TIP - Even if you're cooking for one or two, make enough of this delicious recipe to enjoy leftovers (cold or reheated) for lunch or dinner!