Summer has almost arrived in my part of the world and once again its’ seasonal fruit becomes the long-lost friend that you forgot how much you love.
Watermelon is a summer staple in our house. Eaten in big juicy wedges (and all over your face too!), with a spoon straight from the fruit, in juice, iceblocks and best of all; in salads.
The only rule is – it must be cold. Warm watermelon is simply not doing it justice.
In Australia, this delicious fruit (which is approximately 92% water by the way) is synonymous with summertime. We think of long days with friends at the beach, even longer summer afternoons that become balmy summer nights and fresh, light, juicy salads taken along to a weekend BBQ.
Or is that just me?
My all-time favourite watermelon salad recipe is on quick-draw for me as soon as the season arrives – you can find that one here - though this newbie that I’ve been enjoying over the past 2 weeks, does not disappoint.
Now it doesn’t get easier than that!
Juicy watermelon, aromatic fresh mint and…. haloumi.
Invariably when someone asks, “what’s in this?” the answer is haloumi. If you aren’t familiar with this cheese, you will want to get familiar.
Soft though firm with just the right amount of saltiness and so so delicious! Due to the high fat content of haloumi (25%), unlike other cheeses you’ll find yourself feeling surprisingly satisfied after enjoying a moderate amount – love that!
- 1 large wedge chilled watermelon
- 1 block organic haloumi cheese
- ¼ bunch fresh mint, washed
- Balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper
- Olive oil to cook
- Heat a frypan or griddle on medium-high heat, add oil
- Slice watermelon into small wedges
- Tear mint leaves roughly
- Combine watermelon and mint onto a plate for serving
- Slice haloumi lengthways and pepper side facing up
- Once oil is heated, add the peppered side facing down, pepper other side
- Cook each side for a few minutes until golden and/or grill marks appear
- Take off heat, slice and add to watermelon and mint
- Splash some balsamic vinegar over the salad and serve immediately
On the matter of BBQ’s, this salad is ideal for such an occasion. You could even grill the haloumi on the BBQ plate and if you’re vegetarian, bring extra haloumi to enjoy.
Enjoy! Share the and tag me using #nfeats on instagram with your own creations.