The title of this recipe requires little elaboration.
I first had the idea to create these banana bread donuts because it seems the world is a little crazy for donuts with stores and brands opening all over the place and because we all love banana bread. Especially us Aussies….
The banana bread base for this recipe couldn’t be any easier because it’s as simple as pour into a bowl and mix – it’s literally foolproof, fast and healthy all in one. It’s both gluten and grain-free as well as free from refined sugar and is Nadia-approved! Why? Because this tasty, convenient and healthy Organic Banana Bread Mix is developed by me!! Our Wholefood Society Baking Mix products were launched in December 2016 and have received incredible love so far – it’s been a real ride.
Created because healthy food shouldn’t come at a cost or inconvenience – and real food is at the core of eating well.
All of our Wholefood Society Baking Mixes are free from gluten and grains, preferring instead to be made with quality seeds. They contain absolutely no preservatives, additives or fillers – and never will. All Wholefood Society products are 100% organic and made from natural, real food to maximise their health benefit and cater to a variety of food sensitivities. Each mix has been created as a delicious and healthy food product that is convenient for anyone to use and enjoy.
Our products make healthy baking as easy as 1, 2, 3! Without the wasted ingredients and pesky measuring, they’re foolproof, delicious and good for you too.
So back to these donuts then…. To easily make them – you’ll require a silicon donut mould. I found mine on eBay for $AU7 here.
Better still, and because I love a 2-for-1, I made 8 full size donuts that you see here in this post and a smaller banana bread loaf so the fun continued! If you too would like to do that, simply spoon some of the prepared banana bread mixture into your donut moulds and the remaining mixture into a lined loaf tin as per the instructions on the Banana Bread Mix.
Full disclosure – we ate the donuts in one day.
With this recipe, you can look forward to enjoying something tasty and healthy or maybe impressing others with your healthy and masterful baking skills without the burnt mess (that ends up in the bin!), random ingredients that sit in the pantry (to also end up in the bin!), or nightmare scenario of careful measuring with no pay-off!
- 5 large ripened bananas
- 75mL extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg (50g)
- 1 x Wholefood Society Banana Bread Mix
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder (30g)
- 30mL melted coconut oil
- 1 ¼ tablespoons melted cacao butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Dash of salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 160°C (electric oven)
- Peel and mash bananas in a large mixing bowl
- Crack and whisk egg into the banana mix
- Add oil and combine
- Pour packet mix contents into the wet ingredients and combine well together
- Pour evenly into a silicon donut mould
- Bake at temperature for 20 minutes until golden and cooked through
- Whilst baking, gently combine cacao powder and melted coconut oil in a mixing bowl over warm water
- Add cacao butter, honey and salt
- Continue to combine together until smooth and glossy
- Keep chocolate bowl over warm water
- Once cooked, place donuts on a wire rack over a tray to top with chocolate
- Serve straight away and/or store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week